Castello Banfi 2015 Stilnovo Governo all’Uso Toscano
ON $18.95 (515494)
This ripe and accessible red wine gains added stuffing and complexity from dramatically staggered harvest dates and an ancient Tuscan re-fermentation process called Governo all’Uso. A Sangiovese dominant wine, Stilnovo (Italian for "new style") sees 70 percent of the grapes needed for production harvested by the second half of September and fermented in stainless steel. The remaining 30 percent is left on the vine until the second half of October when the partially dried grapes are harvested and added into the initial batch to start a second fermentation. After pressing, a small portion (20 percent) is aged in older oak barrels to add more weight and savoury notes to the finished wine. Drink now to best enjoy the attractive cherry/berry fruit and fragrance.